Types of credit card fraud.
What methods do criminals use to get your card details?
Almost every German citizen now has a credit card. No wonder, because the credit card is accepted in more and more places and often the credit card is the only possible means of payment. Above all abroad, the credit card is a great relief.
But you read or hear more and more about credit card fraud, sometimes on a large scale. Therefore it is good to know the different methods how criminals get your card data. This is a better way to counter credit card fraud and to avoid it in a targeted manner.
Fraudsters get their credit card details in the following ways:
- Phishing: Criminals sneak up your data through fake emails asking you to reveal your credit card details or fill out forms. Most of the criminals justify this by saying that your credit card would otherwise be blocked. In addition, they mostly use fake email addresses so that the customer believes that their bank would write to them. (Never reply to emails of this type and never give your card details lightly. A banking institution would never ask you to enter confidential data in emails.)
- Fraudulent internet services or shops: The method here is to lure customers with special offers so that he reveals his data
- Manipulated card readers: Here card readers are manipulated in shops, whereby criminals receive your PIN and card data.
- Brute force method : With this mathematical method, the perpetrators try to generate the credit card number and thus produce a virtual credit card that is indistinguishable from the real virtual credit cards.
- Hacking customer data: Experienced hackers can get strictly confidential customer data by finding security holes in customer databases.
- Fake credit card: If criminals get credit cards, you can use the expiry date to create a fake, because the card numbers are always assigned in ascending order. If the card expires, the next credit card that comes into circulation has exactly this card number. The test number does not represent an obstacle since the calculation is generally known.
Once your credit card details are in the hands of criminals, they can make copies and fakes and buy them at your own expense. However, by acting appropriately and correctly, you can reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of credit card fraud. You can find out how to avoid credit card fraud here: How can I prevent credit card fraud?